
So my husband is gone for his Annual Training with the Army. Two weeks. Doesn't seem like much but it has always killed me when he leaves. I hardly eat, hardly sleep, I get bored and whine... Then as quickly as he left he was home. Back to normal.
Now its not only hard on me but its harder on my kids. The baby doesn't understand of course but when you have a two year old.. How do you explain that daddy can't come home? Daddy didn't want to leave her but its his job. When shes laying in bed after prayers and she says in her tiny voice "Daddy come home please?" What do you say?
We started a little calendar that we check off each day that hes gone before bed. We then count the days till he gets to come home. But how do you explain 11 days? Shes learning what two minutes means thanks to time out but 11 days is hard for a child.
Also how do you explain what his job really is? She sees guys in uniform on the TV and gets excited that "Daddy" is on the TV... She sees me talking to a soldier in uniform and runs up thinking its daddy only to be freaked out when he looks down and its not him LOL (Yes I know I should not laugh at my kid, but it was cute when it happened.) So past the uniform.. how do you explain it? His civilian job is easy.. but the army? Not so much!
We ask God to keep our troops safe each night at the end of our prayers. I tell both girls that daddy's job is amazing. That its something were all proud of. Daddy is away because he is training to help other people. We look at pictures of daddy and talk about him all the time. We color him pictures and make him cards.
Deep down I know its only two weeks. Two weeks is nothing compared to the time we've been apart. Till AT starts we typically joke its our "vacation" from each other. But my kids don't want/need a vacation from their daddy.. and I question if I'm doing enough for them?!
Would I change our military lifestyle? Never! Patrick is an amazing soldier. The US Army is lucky to have him (hehe.. at least I think so) and it needs more men like him. Being a soldier is who he is. He wouldn't be the same without it. I am proud being an Army wife (Kudos to the wives who do it full time).. As an outsider I can see why you think I'm crazy. Outside of being an amazing father nothing makes me prouder of my husband than his military career. I some day hope that my girls feel the same way..
Now its not only hard on me but its harder on my kids. The baby doesn't understand of course but when you have a two year old.. How do you explain that daddy can't come home? Daddy didn't want to leave her but its his job. When shes laying in bed after prayers and she says in her tiny voice "Daddy come home please?" What do you say?
We started a little calendar that we check off each day that hes gone before bed. We then count the days till he gets to come home. But how do you explain 11 days? Shes learning what two minutes means thanks to time out but 11 days is hard for a child.
Also how do you explain what his job really is? She sees guys in uniform on the TV and gets excited that "Daddy" is on the TV... She sees me talking to a soldier in uniform and runs up thinking its daddy only to be freaked out when he looks down and its not him LOL (Yes I know I should not laugh at my kid, but it was cute when it happened.) So past the uniform.. how do you explain it? His civilian job is easy.. but the army? Not so much!
We ask God to keep our troops safe each night at the end of our prayers. I tell both girls that daddy's job is amazing. That its something were all proud of. Daddy is away because he is training to help other people. We look at pictures of daddy and talk about him all the time. We color him pictures and make him cards.
Deep down I know its only two weeks. Two weeks is nothing compared to the time we've been apart. Till AT starts we typically joke its our "vacation" from each other. But my kids don't want/need a vacation from their daddy.. and I question if I'm doing enough for them?!
Would I change our military lifestyle? Never! Patrick is an amazing soldier. The US Army is lucky to have him (hehe.. at least I think so) and it needs more men like him. Being a soldier is who he is. He wouldn't be the same without it. I am proud being an Army wife (Kudos to the wives who do it full time).. As an outsider I can see why you think I'm crazy. Outside of being an amazing father nothing makes me prouder of my husband than his military career. I some day hope that my girls feel the same way..
No comments:
Post a Comment